February 11, 2009

Recommended reading: Juvenile competency

I was just looking over Ivan Kruh and Tom Grisso's new book, Evaluation of Juveniles' Competence to Stand Trial, as I sat down to write a rather complex report on an 11-year-old child. Wow! This little book is such a great tool, I thought I should plug it to those of you who work with juveniles.

As I wrote in my Amazon review, "You will not find this much comprehensive, up-to-date information on juvenile competency to stand trial (CST) evaluations in any other single source." It's a tiny little book, but it is jam-packed with information, very clearly written, with the concepts clearly explained.

Also, unlike the volume on SVP evaluations in the same new Best Practices in Forensic Mental Health Assessment series from Oxford University Press, this one tackles the controversies and complexities in the field head-on, rather than shying away from them.

My complete Amazon review is here, with links to other relevant resources. (As always, if you like it please click on the "Yes" button at the bottom, as that helps the placement of my reviews on Amazon.)

No comments: